That week-plus-long bacchanal of music, tech and booze — commonly known as SXSW — is mere weeks away, which means anyone heading down to Texas for the fest best start RSVPing for anything and everything featuring free tunes (and other mood enhancers). Luckily, Rdio is out with a little tool today that should help users hop the line at parties like Hype Machine’s Hype Hotel, BrooklynVegan Day Parties, Stereogum’s bash, and SPIN’s invite-only afternoon event.
The Rdio List is a mobile Web app created with help from Buzzmedia. When users sign up for the app (after creating an Rdio account, of course), they will be able to browse through parties and sign up to see their favorite bands. Naturally, there is a limit to how many people can attend the parties in question — so interested folks should start signing up ASAP. When you use the app, you will receive:
· The opportunity to reserve a first-come, first-served pass to select Buzzmedia sponsored music performances
· A unique pass phrase to show The Rdio List doorman upon arrival at each event
· Real-time listings of upcoming and ongoing performances (The Rdio List hosts an updateable schedule featuring events with available Rdio passes, which automatically closes once the passes become unavailable)
· Real-time alerts from participating venues when a pass to a show or perk becomes available and the set amount of time to redeem the pass
· Three months of unlimited music listening on Rdio via the web or mobile, even when offline
We can see this partnership working out well for Rdio — especially where the last perk listed above is concerned. When SXSW-goers sign up, eager to attend the parties offered, they’ll also be able to check out the app for three months free, which — Rdio likely hopes — might endear them to the app and make them into paying customers.
Which shows are you most excited about at SXSW?